Tuesday 2 February 2016

teaser poster.


TRIAL.

First, I imported the photo I took of my sister and imported it into Pixlr as a new layer.
I then changed the colour effect to "old photo". By adjusting the contrast and brightness, and the saturation and lightness I was able to make one side of her face darker than the other.
Adding another layer, I used the burn tool to make her eyes completely black. Using the "bulge" tool I then expanded her eyes so they were abnormally larger.
On another layer, using the "smudge" brush tool; i added marks on the lower eyelids portraying strain/ruin of the skin. I also added a slight hint of the colour red on the insides of the eyes. Then using the brush tool, colour black, I darkened the background all around her face.
By changing the size of the document I made it into poster size. I then added my typography at the bottom of the page. Using the 'burn' tool, I darkened the skin around the lips, and the lips themselves making them look more bruised and dirty.


ACTUAL (TEASER) DRAFT.



Using another photo of my sister (one more fore-front) I imported it into pixels.




Once it was in pixels I changed the colour effect to Old Photo. Using "curves" I adjusted them, making the edges darker but her face paler. Using the brush tool I darkened her whole eye to black, then using the bulge tool I enlarged them to an abnormal size. Making her look slightly possessed. Then using the burn tool, I darkened the skin and lips of her face making the look more bruised and dirty.



Using the brush tool on smudge, I added marks on the inside (near bridge of nose) and on the lower eye lids. This makes the skin look stretched and strain.




Using the sponge tool, I made the lips (and skin surrounding) red to represent the blood that would be on the face of the puppet due to the ripped and sewn face. By adjusting the "curves" again I made her face another stage brighter and the surroundings darker to make the features of her face more prominent.


I then darkened the background so that the face was the complete main focus. But, I didn't use a "block" black brush to hide the background, I used a smudge tool so that not every single part of the background was hidden; there is still (even though small) parts visible. I did this to make it look worn and old, rather than too unrealistic.

Adding a new layer, I imported my typography and crop it to where I wanted it to be. Using the brush tool I blended it into the background and then, changing the colour to white and using smudge, added the effect on top of my typography. I did this so the page looks more faded and creepy.

I then designed my slogan typography. The font I chose to use was 'Gigi' as it resembles more of a (childlike) scribble rather than actual font/handwriting. I added a slight grey shadow/glow around the edge of the font. The actual slogan itself is a twist on the Disney Film 'Pinocchio' the puppet, and the song he sings 'Got no strings'. I did this because puppet shows usually have a younger target audience, so using the Disney lyrics will have connections to other people. The original lyrics are "I've got no strings to hold me down"; however I change them to "it" as it adds the enigma of who and what the story line is based upon - it leaves it to the imagination of the audience.


I then added the slogan to my poster. I decided to position is just above/next to the head of the image on my poster as that is where it is most likely to catch people's attention. I think having the words 'it' in the slogan and then positioning next to the mysterious face; allows the intended audience to make the connection that, that face is the 'it'. This then adds more of a creepy/fearful atmosphere as the audience would then feel even more (in a sense) 'watched' by the creature on the poster.

After, I added the release date onto the poster in the same font as the slogan - Gigi. On another layer, using the simple brush tool (colour black) I faded on the typography slightly on both the date and the slogan to give off more of the 'old and worn out' feel. Then on a last layer, using the crack brush tool I went over some of the fonts again for more specific fading of letters.


Finally, using the brush tool on the option "smudge", in the colour grey, I added an effect around some areas on the edges of the poster. I did this (mainly randomly) so that the page would look old, and as if some parts are beginning to fade away. This helps relate to the film firstly being set in the 1960's. Therefore the context of the film originates historically - so, it is important that I create my poster to include features that will satisfy the expectations of my target audience. The fading around the edge of the poster also relates to damage - damage of the poster/refers to damage of the teens and the 'Human Puppet' itself. I then enhanced the curves to make everything brighter are more visible, but it also made the grime/worn edges more prominent to the eye so show decay.

No comments:

Post a Comment